LiDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) has become an established method for collecting very dense and accurate elevation values. This active remote sensing technique is similar to radar but uses light pulses instead of radio waves.
LIDAR being an active remote sensing system utilizes a laser beam as the sensing carrier. Laser scanners measure three-dimensional points on the surface of the earth. A platform (tripod or vehicle mounted) has a laser ranging system along with other equipment including a precision GPS receiver. The platform is moved around the area in which data are to be collected while the lasers utilized in this process typically emit millions of pulses per second. The travel time of these pulses is timed and recorded between the platform and the object along with the position and orientation of the platform to determine range.
The X,Y,Z measurements from the scanner are recorded and displayed as a "point cloud" which can be viewed, measured and navigated as a 3D model providing incredible insight to the project site. Precise elevations are derived from the point cloud data.
Use of LiDAR or laser for topographical mapping and contour generation is fast gaining acceptance worldwide. The commercial application of ground based laser scanning has proven to be a fast and accurate technology for information extraction.
Genesys is a pioneer in offering Mobile Mapping survey in India and has the country’s largest fleet of mobile mapping units including sizeable number of High Definition (LiDAR) scanning systems.
High Definition Mobile Mapping Survey has applicability in many industries / verticals / areas such as:
- Roads and Highways
- City Modeling and Urban Planning
Mobile LiDAR data comprises of:
- Geo referenced time stamped 3D point cloud data and panoramic imagery collected deploying LASER scanners and optical sensors
- Point cloud data in a 3D coordinate system and panoramic imagery collectively creating a Virtual Reality in 3D environment on a desktop
To manage and operate this fleet, Genesys has deployed a large team comprising of Domain experts, Logistics Managers, Captains, Navigators, Drivers and Field Survey professionals. Additionally, for data processing, feature extraction and Map/CAD output generation a competent team with skills in both industry standard and proprietary software has been deployed.
Genesys offers the following services and deliverables for Mobile LiDAR survey and mapping requirements:
- Corridor Survey and Mapping
- Asset mapping
- Infringement Analysis
- As- built drawings
- Walk throughs and 3D visualizations>
- 3D modeling and simulation
Terrestrial laser scanning provides highly accurate, three-dimensional images enabling engineers to experience and work directly with real-world conditions by viewing and manipulating rich point-clouds in computer-aided design software.
By sweeping a laser beam over a scene or object, the laser scanner is able to record millions of 3D points. These X,Y,Z measurements can be imported into 3D application software and displayed on a computer monitor as a "point cloud" which has photographic qualities portrayed in one-color, gray-scale, false-color or even true color. Since all laser scan points are 3D, the files can be viewed, navigated, measured and analyzed as 3D models.
Terrestrial LiDAR technology has application specifically in green field projects of:
- Infrastructure (roads, railways)
- Utilities (telecom, power, waste water, water)
- Geology & geomorphology
- Topographical mapping
- Terrain Modeling
Benefits of LiDAR survey
The benefits of using LiDAR survey are:
- Data acquisition in short time
- High Data Quality: Accuracy at sub centimeter level
- More Flexibility: Data can be acquired under a variety of environmental conditions, including low sun angle, cloudy skies, and even darkness
- More Safety: Less field time in hazardous location
- Reduced labor, time, eliminates frequent, time-consuming site revisits and provides quality control
- Remote acquisition and measurement – enables mapping inaccessible increases efficiency and safety of surveys.
- High point density data ensures better depiction of topography.
- More accurate mapping of forested areas due to better penetration of vegetation cover
- Imagery and 3D visualization provides added confidence that mapped objects correspond to actual existing conditions
Genesys has gained significant experience in executing Terrestrial LiDAR survey and mapping projects over the last few years. Genesys has successfully used this technology to execute projects in the Infrastructure vertical.
Genesys offers the following services and deliverables:
- Survey and Mapping
- Comprehensive 2D / 3D Topographic feature maps
- Contour Maps (at user defined intervals)
- 3D data sets (DSM, DEM, DTM)
- Engineering drawings – Cross / Long sections
- 3D Animation / Fly through
Aerial LiDAR typically involves scanning from an airplane or helicopter fitted with suitable laser scanner and is usually carried out for mapping large areas.
Genesys partners with expert Aerial LiDAR survey companies for aerial laser scanning and have an in-house team of experienced aerial LiDAR processing professionals. Genesys has rich experience in aerial LiDAR for carrying out wide area surveys for Mines, Forests, city and corridor surveys for Power lines, Roads, Railways, Coastline and Pipeline.
Genesys offers the following services and deliverables:
- Aerial LiDAR acquisition (with expert partners)
- Classification of Bare Earth and above ground features – vegetation, buildings, bridges
- Power line classification including sag analysis
- Hydro enforcement
- 3D Feature extraction
- 3D modeling
- Contour generation
- DSM, DEM, Intensity images